Significance of Transmission Belts
Transmission belts are looped strips of continuous material used to link rotating shafts, usually looped over pulleys. They are specifically used to transmit power as part of a larger system of pulleys and gears, though with the development of newer technologies and materials new applications have been discovered for this type of equipment. They are essential parts of heavy machinery like presses, spinning machines, industry fans, roller conveyor and textile machines. Belt systems are often compared with chain systems and you should carefully review the pros of this type of system before deciding exactly what you need for your purposes.
1) Smooth operation: This means that the whole system will run efficiently and without any hitches, requiring minimum maintenance and providing maximum comfort for the operators.
2) No lubrication: This is a specific benefit in comparison with chain systems, but is actually a huge advantage since lubrication (usually in the form of oil or petrol) represents a significant drain on your resources.
3) Quiet: This type of equipment produces very little sound when operating which is an important advantage in any work place and adds to the level of comfort.
4) Less wear and tear: When properly maintained, they can be quite long lasting. The maintenance required is cost-effective and less frequent. Moreover it involves less abrasion for various other parts like pulleys.
5) Higher speed and efficiency: Not only is this type of system easier to operate, it also provides higher operational speeds and reliable efficiency.
Belt systems require less maintenance, no lubrication and are quieter to operate. You will save on a lot of money and hassles by opting for this type of equipment; but, on the other hand, you have to make sure you get top quality strips which are made using high-grade materials (plastics or rubbers). The best quality results from a use of engine-specific blends for the covering and materials to ensure perfect compatibility. The design should be such that safety and protection from accidents is guaranteed. Further, it should be a low stretch material, preferably made of glass fibres, which should be properly tensioned before being installed. The tooth profile is also significant in creating optimum transmission values.
There are many types of transmission belts depending on the material used to make it and the final application for it. You can choose between polyamide, polyester and aramide belts based on whether you require longer life, greater versatility or specialized services.